Wednesday, September 18, 2013

September 16, 2013 - After the first week in the Philippines


September 16, 2013


So.....The Journey of a couple 18 year olds to the Other Side of Earth.

The plane rides were fine except it was a 15 hour flight but it was okay. We arrived in the Philippines around 1030 at night but didn't get to the hotel we stayed in until 12. Then we had to wake up at 4 so we could make it to our mission home in Urdaneta by 2 in the afternoon. The first 2 days we had training from our Mission President but on Friday we received our Companions. My companion is Elder Moreno. He is awesome and really is helping me with the language which now seems like it is impossible, but that is not bothering me. I know it will come....hopefully haha.

As far as home sickness goes, it is in full force and seems to never leave me. I don't think I have ever prayed this hard. I know this is what I am supposed to be doing but I never realized how much I love my family. But that’s something I am grateful for. I needed this mission to realize how much I love and care about each member of my family. I think about you guys and how I was so bad at expressing my love for all of you!

I'm fine once we get out of our house but in the morning, in studies, I try to focus on investigators and the work but I always find myself thinking about all of you and how you guys are doing. I didn't think it would be that hard but the first day I woke up in the Philippines I think I realized I wasn't going to see you guys for 2 years. I know I will see you guys again, it just seems like it is so far away. I hope it gets better and I am able to focus on the work more and forget myself, but right now I am really having a hard time doing that. I need some advice from anyone on what they did in these beginning stages of the mission. 

As far as the work goes it is okay, I put in my little bit that I can say but it’s really frustrating when you feel the promptings of what to say but it is hard to say or they don’t understand what you said. I knew it would be hard just not this hard.

I love the people! They are so nice and offer so much. I have already had some food that was pretty nasty but my companion said it was good after you have been here for 1 year haha. It was this like cold rice jell-o thing but it didn't taste like rice or any kind of jell-o. It was like the consistency of rotten milk but I ate it and was okay.

I just need to immerse myself into the culture and tell myself that everything is good haha.

Well, hopefully I will have more next week and it won’t be full of my homesickness. haha

-       Elder Ball

No comments:

Post a Comment